Dal Mughlai is one of the most famous Indian dishes. It is easy to cook and tastes great.
This is full of protein and low in carbohydrate. Fat content can be managed with the quantity of oil you use in Dal Mughlai.
The recipe given below is for 6 servings.
The total quantity of dal Mughlai can be served to 6 people or three people with 2 servings each.
Calories in Each Serving: 130
Ingredients for dal Mughlai
3/4 cup Toor dal (Arhar dal)
1/4 cup chana dal (split Bengal gram)
2 tsp oil
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 1/2 cup bottle gourd (lauki), cut into pieces
1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
1 tsp cumin seeds (jeera)
1/2 tsp garlic, finely chopped
1/2 tsp green chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp ginger, finely grated
3/4 cup onion, sliced
2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander leaves
salt to taste
How to prepare Dal Mughlai
- Clean and soak Toor dal and chana dal in water for about 40 minutes. Drain water.
- Add 3 cups of water, dals, tomatoes, turmeric powder, bottle gourd pieces, salt in a pressure cooker and cook until 2-3 whistles as the dals get tender.
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds. When the seeds begin to crackle, add ginger, onions, green chilies, garlic and saute till onions turn light brown. If the onions seem to burn, sprinkle few drops of water.
- Add 1 cup of water and cooked dal in the pan and bring to boil on high flame.
- Lower the flame and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- Dal Mughlai has the best taste when served hot and fresh.